Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, June 13, 2008

More Reflections on Philippians

Phil 2:4Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Phil 1: 21For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, 26so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.

It seems to me that Paul puts his life to the test throughout his life. He walk the talk. He practices what he preaches. In simple terms, he has integrity. He is consistent wherever he is . This is the standard I strive for my personal self, as much as for my leader self. I cannot take people to places I myself have never been before. I will go the distance not only for my people, but also WITH my people. This is the kind of commitment and heart Paul has for his people – God’s people.

See that he tells the Philippi church to serve with the considerations of others. He applies the same standard for himself earlier in chapter 1. He desired the greater good – that is he hopes to be with the philppi church in order to encourage them face-to-face. This is again in line with 1:10 – to approve what is excellent –that is to make the best decision possible with accordance to God’s will. Paul’s self interest at that point in chapt 1 is to die to be with Christ- he could have stopped there and wish for that! BUT MORE THAN THAT- he desired to be with the church in order to see them and encourage them. This way he is practicing what he preaches in “Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.
“. He carries them ‘in his heart’ – see verse 7.

Here I learn yet another lesson on the shepherd’s heart…
A good shepherd never let his lambs go. He desires the best for them- He desires to serve them in the best possible way. He desires to go the distance to win their hearts for Christ! A good shepherd does not quit even when the going gets tough- in face of opposition- both within and outside the Christian community. A good shepherd allows his love for God and men to abound more and more in the midst of imprisonment and suffering. A good shepherd does not allow the circumstance to get the better of him, or even to use the circumstance as an excuse to get a leave of absence in serving Him. A good shepherd allows the Good Shepherd to lead him into leading his people. The love of a good shepherd never fails, his voice is : come ! try and try again… the victory is for us to claim…

A good shepherd serves with such humility that he always give , rather than take. There is no way one can repay back his giving. A good shepherd never takes credit for himself. A good shepherd is a giving King, NOT a taking king. A good shepherd will NEVER turn the attention to himself. A good shepherd's prized possession is Christ himself! and that this prize will be manifested in the lives of his fellow disciples. That is what i strive for... that the lives of others will be changed while i am being changed in Christ.

No comments: