Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, June 13, 2008

Reflections

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God

Philippians 1: 9-11

I believe that Paul has put forth his life into this prayer –even while he is praying with joy for the Philippi Church. It is incredible! Even during imprisonment (ie. Bad circumstances!), he recognized that the highest honour one can have is to enjoy the presence of God even while suffering. There is the glory of grace through suffering flowing through this very letter. Paul recognizes it will not be the circumstantial change that will set him free (notice he did not specifically highlight his prayer ONLY to be set free from prison), but rather a humble submission to the will of God – be it death or life – in all circumstances. (see v.19-26) Paul recognizes the greatest , most powerful thing that could happen is inward change. Much like 2 Corinthians, he is sharing suffering with fellow Christians in Philippi. And in that suffering, he sees it as an opportunity where spiritual transformation can take place, that one can deep deeper and see the heart( see 1:7). I do believe Paul’s wishes for them is to grow in Christ through suffering. Love being the main motivator to do so. Love for God . Love for Christ. To find that joy in the rested-ness in the midst of suffering to break the prison walls. Circumstances and sin is my current prison wall. It seems to prevent me to do the things I thought I should do for God; but to my surprise, Gods grace prevails over all. Even in the midst of suffering and sin, I can still see God’s grace smiling at me, I can still see God’s working hand working through me – a sinful , cursed creature like me. How is it possible? I don’t know… that is why we call him a powerful, all-sovereign, indescribable and righteous God. And the most amazing thing that could happen is for God’s good news to spread even in the midst of such trials ( see the tone in and 1:12 + 1:27)


“but others from good will. The latter do it out of love…”
Philippians 1:15b- 16a

The center of all ministry is love… love for God and love for his people! The heart must be filled with such love that shines so brightly, so joyfully, so victoriously God Him. Without love, we are just an empty gong (see 1 Cor 13:1). Have I been transformed by His love, through the Spirit?

No comments: